Actual is a user-friendly and privacy-focused app designed for efficient financial management. Its sleek interface is optimized to ensure a speedy and seamless experience when exploring your finances.
This guide will walk you through creating an account, importing files and transactions, as well as editing transactions using Actual.
Watch the video tutorial for a visual demonstration.
For more comprehensive details, refer to the official documentation.
Actual allows you to set up multiple accounts, both on-budget and off-budget. Here’s a breakdown of these account types:
Off-budget accounts: These accounts don’t affect your budget and are suitable for tracking investments and mortgages. Transactions within these accounts can’t be categorized and solely monitor balances over time.
On-budget accounts: Transactions within these accounts affect your budget and can be categorized. They are ideal for tracking cash flow and utilizing the budget, such as checking accounts and credit cards.
To create a local account:
- Click on all accounts in the left sidebar.
- Choose + sign or click on add account on the main dashboard.
- Select create local account.
- Optionally, toggle off-budget.
- Provide a name for the account.
- Set a budget amount.
If you wish to rename an account, follow these steps:
- Click on the account name in the sidebar menu.
- Hover your cursor near the top of the account name.
- Click on the pencil icon.
- Rename the account.
- Press Enter to save your changes.
To close or delete an account, ensure you have another account open to transfer the remaining balance:
- Navigate to the account by clicking on it in the sidebar.
- Click on the 3 dots (top right of the transactions list) to access the actions menu.
- Choose Close Account.
- Select another account for transferring the balance.
- Press Close Account.
Importing bank files into Actual is simple, and the app will automatically categorize your transactions. Supported file formats include QIF, QFX files, and CSV files.
For importing transactions from a CSV file:
- Select the target account for importing transactions.
- Click on import in the top menu, below your account name.
- Choose the file on your computer for import.
- Optionally, toggle on “Split amount into separate inflow/outflow columns” if your CSV file has separate columns for inflow and outflow amounts.
- Adjust the date format if needed.
- Optionally, toggle on “Flip amount” to negate amounts in the CSV file.
- Toggle on “Add Multiplier” to apply a multiplier to CSV file amounts.
- Click import.
- Edit the payee name by double-clicking.
- Select the appropriate category from the dropdown menu.
You can also manually add transactions, specifying the date for each transaction:
- Click on add transaction in the top menu.
- Select the transaction date from the calendar.
- Enter the payee name.
- Depending on inflow/outflow, choose the appropriate debit/credit column.
- Specify the transaction amount.